How to amend a divorce petition

Life is an incessant process of learning. It’s only natural for human beings to have a change of heart and flip-flop on our decisions and plans. And divorce is no exception.

It’s not uncommon for divorcing parties to amend their divorce papers to either stop the process of divorce or provide more information that you discovered after filing your original petition for divorce or simply include the facts that you forgot to mention but are relevant to your divorce.

Our Westlake Village divorce attorney explains that it is possible to amend and alter your divorce papers before the court issues its final divorce decree or before court proceedings begin.

But before we get to the meat and potatoes of amending your divorce papers, let’s make sure that you understand what divorce papers are comprised of. Divorce papers consist of a petition for divorce, which outlines your reasons for seeking to end your marriage, and a summons.

Is it possible to amend divorce papers?

There can be many reasons for the amendment of divorce papers, from simply providing your new address to changing the terms of child custody or property division that you propose to the court.

Our divorce attorneys at Law Offices of Stephanie L. Mahdavi argue that it’s not uncommon for divorcing parties to agree on certain terms of their divorce, including spousal support, alimony, child support, property division, and other issues, among themselves and subsequently alter their divorce papers accordingly.

Let our Westlake Village divorce lawyer help you file a motion to amend your divorce petition in the court where you filed your original documents. The procedure of amending your divorce papers may change if your spouse has not responded to the original petition. In this case, you may be asked to file a new divorce petition.

Negotiating amendment with your spouse

When altering your divorce papers, it’s important to ask yourself this question: will your spouse agree to the amendment? This is vital because any amendment in a divorce petition will entail a court hearing between the two parties, which will most likely delay the deadline for the court divorce decree.

It’s highly advised to hire a divorce attorney to help you negotiate the amendment with your spouse (if you are not on speaking terms or there is no way you could agree to something without the help of a third party) in order to make sure the amendment will not be contested and your divorce will be finalized without interruptions and delays.

If your spouse refuses to agree to the proposed amendment, the court will set up a hearing to allow both you and your spouse to voice your position on the amendment. Both you and your spouse will be notified of the hearing date. Do note, however, that it’s not advised to attend the hearing with no legal representation, as this hearing could end in favor of your spouse.

Do you need a divorce attorney?

Whatever is the reason for the amendment of divorce papers, you have every right to alter the papers as long as the amendment is not contested by your spouse. In this case, the court may not approve the amendment, which could ultimately negatively affect the outcome of your divorce.

Every divorce is a sensitive matter, but the legal process of dissolving the marriage can be an ugly process. That’s why it’s advised to hire a Westlake Village divorce attorney in order to minimize the risk of the court issuing an unfair divorce decree.

It’s not unheard of when one of the spouses is dissatisfied with the outcome of the divorce and chooses to modify the divorce judgment, which triggers an exhaustive and expensive legal process that can last for months or years, taking a toll on your physical, emotional and mental wellbeing.

In order to prevent all this, it’s vital to be legally represented by a skilled divorce attorney from the very beginning. Our attorneys at Law Offices of Stephanie L. Mahdavi will fight tooth and nail for you and your best interests with our aggressive and effective approach. We don’t take no for an answer!

Consult our lawyers today to get a consultation about your particular case. Call our offices at 805-379-4550 or complete our contact form.

Sometimes after you file divorce, you discover you need to change or correct your Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. Usually, you must amend a divorce petition because there was a mistake in the original filing. Sometimes a person amends the petition to change the case from divorce to legal separation or vis versa. This is not unusual, but it is important you handle the process correctly. Fortunately, you usually don’t need a lawyer to amend a divorce petition. A People’s Choice can help you throughout your divorce process, even if you need to make changes.

Read on to learn more about how to amend a divorce petition.

Get help to Amend a Divorce Petition!

…or continue reading the article below to learn more about how to amend a divorce petition.

Why Amend a Divorce Petition

In order to file for divorce in California, a spouse must file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. Sometimes, you may have to modify the information in the petition. For example, you may need to change the petition because of an incorrect date of separation or date of marriage. On the other hand, you may need to change details about community or separate property, debts, child custody and visitation or support. In all of these cases, you might need to amend your petition. However, not all cases require the same forms. That is where A People’s Choice can help.

For example, if the parties cannot agree on the division of community property, you may need to amend it to include FL-160, Community and Quasi-Community Property Declaration. This amendment allows a spouse to make specific requests to the court on how to divide the property. You might also need an amendment if you simply made a mistake on the original filing.

How to Amend Your Divorce Petition

A petitioner has the right to file an amended petition one time without asking for court permission. In other words, i f you have already filed for divorce in California, you can amend your petition by filling out another FL-100 form. Of course, when you fill out the form, you must check the “AMENDED” box in the heading section of the petition on the first page.

Next, address the details in the form. The amended Petition will revise all information in the original Petition that was wrong or requires change. For example, you may have originally included separate property in your list of community property assets. As an illustration, if you listed separate property items as community property on the original petition, simply remove and reclassify those items. On the other hand, If an incorrect date of marriage was on the form, change it to the correct date. If you are modifying the type of custody you want, mark the correct box to reflect the new details.

Finally, you must file your amended petition with the court. Keep in mind, you must also complete a new Summons on Amended Petition. After you file the amended documents, you must serve your amended petition on your spouse. As with the original Petition, get the help of someone 18 years or older and not a party to the case to serve the papers.

Amending a Divorce Petition by Motion

Have you filed an amended Petition previously? If so, and you need to change it again, you must ask the court for permission before you can file a second Petition amendment. This request is formally made by preparing a motion. The court will also set a hearing on your motion. In the event you must file this type of motion, amending a divorce petition becomes a bit more complicated. Don’t worry though. A People’s Choice has helped many people file these types of proceedings.

Keeping the Process Simple

If your divorce petition has a mistake, or you need to change or make additional requests to the court, contact us to amend your divorce petition. Keep in mind, at A People’s Choice, we can help amend a divorce petition as well as complete your divorce process for a flat fee. If you need to file a motion to amend a divorce petition, we can prepare the documents and set the hearing, We can even help you serve your spouse with the amended papers. A People’s Choice offers full-service divorce document preparation. In other words, we prepare all the forms you need to complete your California divorce and include complimentary case management help. If you and your spouse agree, we can prepare a marital settlement agreement for you both to sign. Help is just a phone call away. Call us today at 805-648-5540.

How to amend a divorce petition

A petition is a court filing that starts the process of divorce between two spouses. It is filed by one spouse and responded by the other and finally the matter is settled with an agreement by both parties with divorce actually taking place. The matter however does not end at the time both parties are divorced from each other, it involves division of all assets shared by them and also an agreement to the terms of children custody.

The agreement reached at the time of the divorce is not final, as it can be changed or amended with the change of circumstances of one spouse, particularly father. It father is made responsible of bearing child’s food or education expense, he needs to fulfill that. However, the amount agreed at the time of the divorce to as an compensation for the expense can be amended or changed at any time, if father starts earning better.

It is the process that has to be done in a complete agreement from both sides. If you as a mother wish to increase the money that your ex-husband has been contributing towards the child expense, you should discuss the matter with him beforehand and if he agrees then you can proceed with the amendment. The agreement between the two parties is necessary before legal approval of the amendment.

Others are Reading


Discuss and Agree Amendments

It is necessary that both parties should discuss and agree the amendments they want or any one of them wants to seek into the petition, which was filed to initiate process of the divorce at first place. With disapproval of even one side is not acceptable before introducing the amendment.

Prepare Brief Draft of Amendments

Once both parties agree to an amendment or amendments they want into the divorce petition, it is better to prepare a draft of proposed changes. It can be done by the party who proposes the amendments.

Involve Attorney

After an agreement is reached between the two parties on the amendments and a rough draft is ready, one party can call the attorney and discuss the matter. The attorney can then consider legal process of the amendments and initiate it.

Filing For Amendments

After your lawyer or attorney initiates the process of bring in amendments into the petition, you will be required to fill out a motion and file it before the court to get the changes introduced to the petition. This is how the process is completed.

How to amend a divorce petition

Tips to Correct Errors and Omissions by Amending Your Petition in California Family Court

Family law may be one of the more “user friendly” areas of law in California, but it can still be filled with pitfalls for the unwary. For example, litigants can amend pleadings freely under certain circumstances, and have to request “leave of court” (i.e. file a Request) in others.

A litigant may want to amend a divorce or paternity petition for any number of reasons, for example, they incorrectly spelled the name of a child or seek to ask for more than they originally requested.

Generally, No Leave of Court Required To Amend a Family Law Petition

For purposes of family law, not much has changed with this new rule under Section 472(a). It is well-settled that parties are generally able to amend pleadings one time without leave of court under the below-circumstances.

The Old Rule (operative until January 1, 2021) – Code of Civil Procedure 472(a)

A party may amend its pleading once without leave of the court at any time before the answer, demurrer, or motion to strike is filed, or after a demurrer or motion to strike is filed but before the demurrer or motion to strike is heard if the amended pleading is filed and served no later than the date for filing an opposition to the demurrer or motion to strike. A party may amend the pleading after the date for filing an opposition to the demurrer or motion to strike, upon stipulation by the parties. The time for responding to an amended pleading shall be computed from the date of service of the amended pleading. (operative until Jan. 1, 2021)

The New Rule (operative on January 1, 2021) – Code of Civil Procedure 472(a)

Any pleading may be amended once by the party of course, and without costs, at any time before the answer or demurrer is filed, or after demurrer and before the trial of the issue of law thereon, by filing the same as amended and serving a copy on the adverse party, and the time in which the adverse party must respond thereto shall be computed from the date of notice of the amendment. (operative on January 1, 2021)

What happens if you have already amended your Petition for Dissolution and need to do so again? Amending a petition a second time is not quite so simple. If you are in this position, what options do you have?

When Leave of Court is Required to Amend – Code of Civil Procedure 473(a)(1)

The court may, in furtherance of justice, and on any terms as may be proper, allow a party to amend any pleading or proceeding by adding or striking out the name of any party, or by correcting a mistake in the name of a party, or a mistake in any other respect; and may, upon like terms, enlarge the time for answer or demurrer. The court may likewise, in its discretion, after notice to the adverse party, allow, upon any terms as may be just, an amendment to any pleading or proceeding in other particulars; and may upon like terms allow an answer to be made after the time limited by this code.

In California, the family court has discretion to allow the petitioning party to amend their pleadings to correct a mistake. In order to receive this approval from the family court, the party seeking to amend his/her pleadings must first file a Request for Order (Motion) (FL-300) to file a second-amended pleading. Many times, an agreement with the responding party can be reached, and a stipulation drafted and submitted to the court showing that the responding party has no objection to the amendment.

The responding party must also be served with the motion, as this puts him/her on notice of the request. The method of service required depends on the stage of litigation (i.e. whether personal service is required).

The Request should clearly state the mistake to be corrected by the amendment, the status of the case (i.e. whether the responding party has been served with the first amended petition), whether the responding party objects to the amendment, and what (if any) prejudice is likely to result to the responding party if the pleading is amended. The proposed amended pleading must also be attached to the Request.

Contact an Experienced California Family Law Attorney

This article provides only broad pointers for amending pleadings in divorce matters. If you have specific questions for a divorce attorney about the statutory scheme governing divorce pleadings, contact our accomplished and dedicated family law, divorce, and child custody lawyers by calling (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or contact us online for a free consultation with our experienced family law attorney, Colleen Talkov, who can guide you through the court process in a prompt and clear manner.

Free Preview Amended Petition For Dissolution Of Marriage

How to amend a divorce petition

How to amend a divorce petition

How to amend a divorce petition

Description How To Amend Divorce Petition

How To Fill Out Online Louisiana Divorce ?

In search of Louisiana Amended Petition for Divorce sample and filling out them can be quite a challenge. In order to save time, costs and energy, use US Legal Forms and find the right sample specially for your state in just a few clicks. Our legal professionals draw up every document, so you just need to fill them out. It truly is that easy.

Log in to your account and return to the form’s page and save the document. All of your saved examples are saved in My Forms and are available all the time for further use later. If you haven’t subscribed yet, you have to sign up.

Take a look at our thorough guidelines regarding how to get your Louisiana Amended Petition for Divorce template in a couple of minutes:

  1. To get an eligible example, check its applicability for your state.
  2. Have a look at the form using the Preview function (if it’s offered).
  3. If there’s a description, go through it to learn the important points.
  4. Click on Buy Now button if you found what you’re searching for.
  5. Select your plan on the pricing page and create your account.
  6. Pick how you wish to pay with a card or by PayPal.
  7. Save the form in the favored file format.

Now you can print out the Louisiana Amended Petition for Divorce form or fill it out using any online editor. No need to worry about making typos because your template may be utilized and sent away, and published as often as you would like. Check out US Legal Forms and get access to more than 85,000 state-specific legal and tax files.

All forms provided by US Legal Forms, the nations leading legal forms publisher. When you need Louisiana Amended Petition Form, don’t accept anything less than the USlegal™ brand. “The Forms Professionals Trust ™

The information contained in your petition, schedules and statement of financial affairs is submitted under penalty of perjury. Therefore, you must be certain that it is correct when you sign these documents. If, however, you later discover that something is inaccurate, the documents may be corrected by the filing, typically well before the case is closed, of an amendment with the Clerk’s Office where the petition was filed.

Petition information: If only changing the debtor’s address, use local form LBF 101D. If changing any other information, mark the petition “Amended”, highlight what is being changed, completely fill out the petition, and add all required signatures (for example, debtor and any joint debtor). Copies of the amended document must be sent to the case trustee and the U.S. Trustee. If debtor information on page one of the petition was changed, copies must also be sent to all creditors. The reason for this is the incorrect information was sent to the creditors when the notice of the meeting of creditors was mailed so they need to be informed if any of that information was incorrect or incomplete.

Schedules or Statement of Affairs: To change information contained in the schedules or Statement of Financial Affairs, the document must be labeled “Amended” and be accompanied by a signed declaration under penalty of perjury.

Schedules D, E, F, E/F, G or H: LBF 728 accompanied by a fee per the Court Fees List, must be submitted to amend Schedules D, E, F, E/F, G or H after notice to creditors has been sent out in the case. LBF 728 contains certain instructions which must be strictly followed in order for the amendment to be processed properly. For instance, if adding creditors to Schedule E/F, clearly mark the schedule “Amended”, put Add Creditors so it is clear exactly what you are doing, and then list only the creditors being added. A supplemental creditor mailing list showing only the creditors whose information is being changed by the amendment is required.

Service: Copies of all amendments must be sent to the United States Trustee and the case trustee. Some amendments (to Schedules D, E, F, E/F, G or H) must be served upon the creditors affected by the amendment as set out in LBF 728. A signed certificate of service showing to whom the amendment was mailed and the date of mailing is to be included.

Petition is a term given to the first filing that opens a lawsuit, also called a complaint. You can often amend a petition if you follow proper procedures. In a legal case, the only signature a petition requires is that of the person or attorney filing it.

First Filing

A civil lawsuit opens when someone files a complaint and often ends with the judgment. That initial document sets out the basic outline of the lawsuit, the who-did-what facts as well as an overview of the injuries or damage caused. If you don’t know all the facts when the last moment comes to file, you can file now and amend later.

Amending Before Response

It takes at least two to argue, and the person you are suing also gets her day in court. She has a set period of time, after you give her the legal documents, to file her own papers with the court denying the charges. If you learn of new, relevant facts that should go in your petition, you can amend it without permission before the other side responds. Depending on court rules, you either file a whole new complaint containing the new facts, termed an amended complaint, or else a document that lists the amendments. The other party responds only to the amended version of the petition, not the original one.

Amending After Response

When you learn new facts after the other side answers your petition, the process of amendment becomes more complicated. Your first step is to ask the other party to agree that you can file an amended complaint. If she does, you proceed in the same way you would for an amendment before a response. If not, you must ask the court’s permission and convince the judge that allowing an amended complaint is fair and just. Generally, your papers explain why you did not and could not have learned of the newly discovered facts earlier.

Amending to Conform to Proof

The opening documents each side files are intended to set the boundaries of the issues to be raised in trial. However, if other, related issues arise during trial, the court often permits an amendment to change your petition to include the new issues, called an amendment to conform to proof.

Timing Issues

Much of the stickiness around amendments stems from the time limits on filing a complaint. Laws called statutes of limitation set time periods in which you must file a complaint about a problem or you can no longer sue. For example, if a doctor cuts off the wrong leg in your surgical procedure, you have a set period of time from that date to bring a malpractice action. If new facts come to your attention after that limitations period has passed, it will be too late to include new claims based on those facts in your lawsuit unless they relate back to the initial filing date. Generally, judges hold that amendments relate back to the initial date if they are part of the same set of circumstances that you described in your original petition.

California law makes it very easy to amend a legal separation to a divorce. The only real obstacle is the heightened residency requirement, which doesn’t exist for legal separation. Otherwise, either spouse can simply refile their legal separation paperwork and check the “dissolution” and “amended” boxes.

Meet residency requirement. To file for divorce in California, at least one spouse must have been a resident of the state for six months and a resident of the county in which it’s filed for three months. Once this basic requirement is met, a legal separation can be easily amended to a divorce.

File amended petition (if petitioner). If you were the spouse who filed the original petition for legal separation, you can amend it to divorce by refiling the same form (FL-100) filled out to reflect the terms of your legal separation with the boxes checked for “dissolution” and “amended.”

File amended response (if respondent). If you were not the spouse who filed the original petition, but you filed a response to the petition, you can amend to divorce by filing a new response form (FL-120) filled out to reflect the terms of the legal separation and marked for dissolution and amended.

Serve process. Whether you are the petitioner or respondent, you must serve a copy of the amended form on your other spouse in a lawful manner. This usually means either hiring the sheriff or a professional process server, but you can also have a friend over 18 hand-deliver the form and file the verification of service form with the court.

If the terms of your legal separation are already established and reflected in a court order, you should file form FL-820 with the court at the time of filing the amendment and include it in the service of process. If not, the potentially lengthy process of stipulating the terms of the separation will continue, but divorce will be the ultimate legal outcome. All California family law (FL) forms can be downloaded from the California Courts’ self-help website, linked in the Resources section below. Some counties, however, may require the use of slightly different local forms.

It may seem simple but I’m asking how to go about making a formal application to amend a Petition that I put in to the court.
Briefly, the scenario is that I filed papers for a divorce and named a third party in part 6 of the Petition.

In Part 5 (the facts) I ticked 3 boxes: marriage broken down irretrievably; respondent has committed adultery; the parties have lived apart at least 5 years.

I got a letter back stating that the DJ is not satisfied that the Petitioner is entitled to the decree
sought, because: I had named a third party and the Petition had to be amended and served on the third party who must be made co-respondent if she is to be named.

I wrote back and said that I would remove the name to simplify things and actually rewrote the petition without the name.

Court wrote back saying they were still not satisfied and I would have to make a formal application to amend the petition which, if granted, must be re-served on the respondent who then has to file another Acknowledgement of Service.
Also said I had not put in a formal application for Directions for trial.

I’m a little confused because I thought by removing the name it would have made things simpler and certainly for the respondent who preferred not to have the name of the co-respondent in there anyway. I can’t see how the DJ can say that i’m not entitled to the decree i’m seeking because i’v removed a name especially when the paperwork shows that the respondent is admitting adultery and also that he is not contesting anything.

Also, what is this ‘directions for trial’ thing? Nobody is contesting here, why should there be a trial? Am I missing something?

Appreciate your advice and clarification on the steps to making a formal application to amend the petition anyway. is there a special form or do i just write to the court or what? I rang the court but they weren”t very helpful

How To Fill Out Louisiana Answer To Amending Petition For Divorce ?

Searching for Louisiana Answer to Amending Petition for Divorce sample and completing them could be a problem. In order to save time, costs and energy, use US Legal Forms and find the correct example specially for your state in a few clicks. Our legal professionals draw up all documents, so you just have to fill them out. It is really so simple.

Log in to your account and come back to the form’s web page and download the sample. All of your downloaded samples are saved in My Forms and are available at all times for further use later. If you haven’t subscribed yet, you should sign up.

Look at our comprehensive recommendations regarding how to get your Louisiana Answer to Amending Petition for Divorce sample in a few minutes:

  1. To get an qualified example, check its validity for your state.
  2. Have a look at the form making use of the Preview option (if it’s offered).
  3. If there’s a description, read it to know the specifics.
  4. Click on Buy Now button if you identified what you’re looking for.
  5. Choose your plan on the pricing page and create an account.
  6. Choose you wish to pay out by way of a credit card or by PayPal.
  7. Download the sample in the preferred format.

You can print the Louisiana Answer to Amending Petition for Divorce template or fill it out using any online editor. No need to concern yourself with making typos because your template may be employed and sent away, and printed out as often as you would like. Try out US Legal Forms and access to around 85,000 state-specific legal and tax documents.

All forms provided by US Legal Forms, the nations leading legal forms publisher. When you need Petition Louisiana Amending, don’t accept anything less than the USlegal™ brand. “The Forms Professionals Trust ™

Today we’re talking about what do you do if you need to change something on your petition.

And this is kind of a follow up to a video I literally just shot. When I turned off the camera I realized there’s more I wanted to say, so, I figured out just do another video.

Let’s assume that you fill out a petition, you file it, you serve it on your spouse and you want to change something.

Well, you have to fill a new petition, so an amended petition. Put on the changes that you are requesting and you have to re-serve it.

Again, it has to be done personally served again. And this can happen for a variety of reasons. I just had a case where the case was somewhat amicable.

We filed a petition for joint legal and joint physical custody and in moving forward things change between the parties and the party that filed decided they wanted a full legal and full physical custody as supposed to joint and the other party wasn’t responding they weren’t participating so the only thing you can do is amend your petition and that’s what we did.

So, here would be the steps.

Assuming you’ve already file your petition, it’s already been served. You have to file an amended petition and you have to re-serve it, personally serve it again.

And then you’re going to have to wait your thirty days again as well. That will set the new date. Every time you file a new petition and serve it. You have to give the other party thirty days to respond before you can move forward with your case.

Just keep that in mind if you do want to make changes and this is particularly is regarding default cases where there’s no agreement. The other party is not involved.

Because if you back to the other video I discussed, you can’t ask for anything other than what you asked for in the petition. So, if you want to change your mind you have to file a new petition and serve it so you can do that in your divorce.

Tim Blankenship,

We have hundreds of videos, we’re on YouTube, we have enough podcast on iTunes at divorce master radio and call me direct, I’d be happy to give you free consultation. We can help you with your divorce anywhere in California. 664-281-0266.

How to amend a divorce petition

Following a divorce becoming finalized — whether through settlement agreement or following a court determination — either spouse might still have a chance to contest certain determinations made by the court. One and/or each of the spouses can pursue an appeal or alter their divorce decree. Below is an overview of the appeals and alteration processes.

Having Your Divorce Ruling Appealed

After the divorce is finalized and a judgment has been entered, either and/or both spouses are able to appeal a trial court judge’s ruling to a higher (“appellate” or “appeals”) court. Because of the deference provided to the initial judge, it is uncommon, but can’t be ruled out for an appeals court to reverse a judge’s ruling in divorce cases. Settlement agreements typically cannot be reversed on appeal when both of the spouses agreed to the conditions of the settlement, unless there were issues with the way the agreement was reached or other enforceability matters.

Notice of Appeal

An appeal is restricted to some considerable error that happened throughout trial. If you think there was a factual error or law or an abuse of authority by the judge, then the appellate process starts with a notice of appeal to the other party. There are rigorous procedures and time frames about filing and serving these types of notices. Failure to adhere your state and county procedures could end up in forfeiting your right to file an appeal.

The Record on Appeal

After the notice of appeal has been filed within the court and served on all involved parties, the Record on Appeal is required to be created. The Record comprises of the court reporter’s trial transcript and the county clerk’s record.

The county clerk’s record comprises of all the documents, paperwork, pleas, and other testimonies that were filed within the court, in addition to any presentations and documents that were submitted at trial.

The court reporter’s transcript is a typewritten publication that includes everything that was talked about in court in the court reporter’s presence. Usually, each part of the testimony by any witnesses, attorney’s arguments, and statements by the judge and/or parties involved.

The Appellate Brief

The primary documentation of contention on an appeal is a written appellate “brief,” filed by the lawyers for both parties involved. The brief is documentation comprising of legal arguments, backed with source to relevant statutes, case law, the transcript of the reporter, and documentation in the record of the county clerk. The attorneys for those involved present their briefs to the appellate court and they could be allowed the chance to make oral arguments.

Oral Argument

When an oral argument is allowed, it will usually be at a minimum fifteen or thirty minutes for each side to present their arguments. There are no witnesses that are going be presented and no new evidence is going to be examined.

The Appellate Decision

After the appellate court receives the Record on Appeal, along with the Appellate Brief, and heard any oral argument that it deems necessary, it is then going to make a decision. The time differs by state, but 30 to 60 days after the court has a complete record is common for a determination to be reached.

The appellate decision probably is going to support the trial court’s decision. Nevertheless, if they don’t, the case is going to be sent back to the trial court to either alter the decision or to carry out a new trial.

Motions to Alter the Divorce Decree

The appeals process is costly and might not provide the outcome you want. Nevertheless, a alteration is far less costly and is the best way to alter certain factors of the divorce decree — including division of property, spousal support maintenance, child support and/or custody arrangements, and visitation.

A petition for an alteration is done by filing a “motion to modify” the divorce decree or ruling. This motion is typically filed with the same court in which the divorce decree was issued. A lot of states provide forms, verify with your local state and/or county courts and check if they are available.

When devising your motion to alter you are required to prove changed circumstances that make a modification warranted. For example, loss of employment or a promotion could be grounds for altering spousal or child support. Every state has their own rules concerning the alteration process and the evidence that is required for the alteration to succeed.

Altering child custody can be done, but it is challenging. Courts assume that the initial custody arrangements were appropriate, and they are hesitant to make custody changes. Nevertheless, they are going to when it is in the child’s best interest and there are changed circumstances that make a change required.

After the petition for alteration has been completed, it is going to need to be filed with the court and then served to your spouse. The court is going to schedule a hearing date and you will be able to submit your argument. If you both agree that altering it is necessary, you should attach their agreement to your petition and the court might make the modification without you having to go to court.

Need Assistance with an Appeal or Modification? Get the Outcome You Want with an Attorney

Appeals and modifications have particular requirements and filing deadlines. A knowledgeable divorce attorney in your state is going to know how to manage these matters and also offer you with important counsel on how to continue with your divorce judgement. Begin the process now by getting a hold of an experienced divorce attorney near you.


Appeals and motions to modify the divorce decree. Findlaw. (2018, September 19). Retrieved December 21, 2021, from

Speak with our Divorce Attorney in Phoenix & Scottsdale, AZ

Moshier Law should be your choice when you need the best divorce attorney in Phoenix. An experienced family law attorney will work with you to obtain the best possible outcome in your situation. We advocate for our clients, so they have the brightest future possible. Give us a call today at 480-999-0800 for a free consultation.

Divorce and Family Law

When a case demands litigation, you’ll have the benefit of 19 years of litigation experience in California and Arizona. But when a case demands collaborative law or mediation, we can meaningfully describe why collaborative law or mediation may or may not be your best option.

Moshier Law services all of Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona. Jennifer and her team of professionals seek to resolve Family Law cases efficiently with your goals in mind.

Today, we’re talking about default cases and when you amend your petition and the effect that has on your Divorce case.

So let me set up the scenario for you. Let’s assume we filed your Divorce and you served your Divorce case on the other party and you actually filed the default, a request in or default and the default was entered.

The effect of that obviously, is you kind of kick the other party on the case, and they can no longer respond unless they request to set aside or there are some other things they can do.

But for purposes of this video we wanted to let you know is, if you have filed the petition, it’s been served and you submit your request in to default and the default’s entered, if you amend your petition for whatever reason and I’ll give you scenario on why you might want to do that.

But if you amend your petition and file and you amend the petition, it removes that default from that case.

So in the past what we had to do if a default was entered, we had to have the respond into the other party filed a request to set aside the default and then once that occurs they can file their response.

But if the party’s are in agreement, and let’s say the default was entered but now you want to have an uncontested case or maybe the other party wants to get involved now, all you have to do is amend the petition, re-file it and reserve it.

And that will effectively remove the default from being part of the case so then the other party can respond where you guys can enter into what’s called a hybrid or a default with agreement type case.

So just keep that in mind. One thing to watch out for is if you once you make changes. So let’s assume you filed your petition and you ask for certain things and then you change your mind.

You’ll have to re-file and amend the petition which will remove that default and give the other party an opportunity to response. You got to be careful depending on which way you’ll do that.

So I just want to share that with folks. It’s something that we’ve roughly recently learned because we had a client who we are trying to do a set aside of the default.

We noticed in the case summary that an amended petition had been filed and served. So we just went in on with a response and they accepted the response despite being a requesting default entered on the case because once they amended the petition, it opened up the doors for the 30 day response window again.

So that’s the effectiveness of that. I’ll be happy to help you with your Divorce case anywhere in California.

We are a full service, so, we’ll take of everything for you with the courts. You can go on with your lives, 661-281-0266.

When you research how to file for divorce without a lawyer, the websites make it sound like every divorce case falls into one of two categories. At one extreme is the Instagrammable “conscious uncoupling,” where there’s zero conflict and you and your spouse do not need any outside help or divorce petition. At the other extreme are the couples who live as mortal enemies during the divorce process.

Mom wants to homeschool the kids and shield them from worldly influences, but Dad wants to move them out of California and send them to a public school where the teachers include their pronouns in their email signatures. A vast majority of common divorces exist somewhere in the middle of this spectrum.

Get help filing a California divorce!

…or continue reading the article below to learn more about what is a divorce petition.

How to amend a divorce petition

When Does the Process of Divorce Start?

Although a complaint about divorce starts with the filing of a divorce petition, sometimes the complexity or level of conflict in your case changes as the case progresses. If things start amicably, but your divorce gets messier after you file the initial divorce petition, it does not necessarily mean that you need a lawyer as a counterclaim for divorce. This also applies to contested divorces.

Even if your divorce action changes course after the initial filing of the divorce petition, having a California non-attorney legal document assistant prepare your divorce documents has great significance. Don’t waste extra expenses on a costly, experienced divorce attorney when you want to file divorce papers.

It Starts with a Divorce Petition

In California, the divorce petition is Form FL-100. It’s the first document that you must file when you get divorced; it’s what gets your divorce judgment started. Typically, you attach a summons (Form FL-110) to your divorce petition, plus an additional form if you have minor children.

The divorce petition includes your name and that of your spouse, as well as the date you married and the date of your marriage divorce. It also includes a list of specific requests about the terms or grounds for divorce. These requests relate to the:

  • Possession of the marital home
  • Division of assets and debts,
  • Child custody
  • Child support payments, and
  • Child visitation schedule

After you serve your spouse with a copy of the divorce petition, they have the opportunity to file a response to the petition for divorce. If your spouse does not file a response within one month during the divorce process, the divorce becomes uncontested. This implies that your spouse loses the opportunity to file a response or disagree with the complaint about divorce filed.

Amending Your Divorce Petition

How to amend a divorce petition

You still have the opportunity to amend your divorce petition after the initial filing. Most amendments happen because the filing spouse made an error on the initial petition. Also, the parties could have established more information concerning the value of their marital assets and debts, hence need to update this.

You can also amend the petition if, after filing it, you change your mind about the instructions for divorce. You can amend a divorce petition in California in two ways. First, you can simply file a new Form FL-100 and check the “amended” box on the first page of the terms of the divorce. Second, you can file a motion to amend your divorce petition in the complaint forms.

A Legal Document Assistant Makes Filing a Divorce Petition Painless

A non-attorney legal document assistant is the best person to prepare your initial or amended divorce petition. Contact A People’s Choice to get your divorce petition and other divorce documents prepared for a reasonable price. You can reach us at 800-747-2780.

After a divorce becomes final — whether through settlement agreement or after a court decision — either spouse may still have an opportunity to challenge certain decisions made by the court. One or both spouses can seek to appeal or modify their divorce decree. The following is an overview of the appeals and modification processes.

Appealing Your Divorce Judgment

Once the divorce is completed and a judgment entered, either or both spouses can appeal a trial court judge’s decision to a higher ("appellate" or "appeals") court. Because of the deference given to the original judge, it is unusual, but not impossible, for an appeals court to overturn a judge’s decision in a divorce case. Settlement agreements usually cannot be overturned on appeal if both spouses agreed to the terms of the settlement, unless there were problems with how the agreement was reached or other enforceability issues.

Notice of Appeal

An appeal is limited to some significant error that occurred during trial. If you believe there was an error of fact or law or an abuse of discretion by the judge, then the appellate process begins with a notice of appeal to the other side. There are strict procedures and deadlines about filing and serving such a notice. Failure to follow your state and county procedures could result in losing your right to an appeal.

The Record on Appeal

Once the notice of appeal has been filed with the court and served on all parties, the Record on Appeal must be prepared. The Record consists of the court reporter’s trial transcript and the clerk’s record.

The clerk’s record is all of the documents, papers, pleadings, and other written material that were filed with the court, plus any exhibits and documents that were introduced at trial.

The court reporter’s transcript is a typewritten booklet that contains everything that was said in court in the presence of a court reporter. Typically, all of the testimony by witnesses, attorney arguments, and statements by the judge or parties.

The Appellate Brief

The main form of argument on appeal is the written appellate "brief," filed by counsel for each party. A brief is a document containing a legal argument, supported with reference to applicable case law, statutes, the reporter’s transcript, and documents in the clerk’s record. The lawyers for the parties submit their briefs to the appeals court and they may be granted the opportunity to make oral arguments.

Oral Argument

If an oral argument is granted, it will typically be for no more than 15 or 30 minutes for each side to present its argument. No witnesses will be presented and no new evidence will be considered.

The Appellate Decision

Once the appellate court has the Record on Appeal, the Appellate Brief, and has taken any oral argument that it desires, it will make a ruling. The time varies from state to state, but thirty to sixty days after the court has a complete record is typical for a decision to be reached.

The appellate decision most likely will uphold the trial court’s decision. However, if they don’t do so, the case will be sent back to the trial court to either modify the decision or to conduct a new trial.

Motions to Modify the Divorce Decree

The appeals process is expensive and may not provide the results you are seeking. However, a modification is far less expensive and is the best way to change certain aspects of the divorce decree — including property division, spousal support (alimony), child support, child custody arrangements, and visitation.

A request for a change is made by filing a "motion to modify" the divorce decree or judgment. This motion is usually filed with the same court where the divorce judgment was issued. Many states provide forms, check with your local state and county courts to see if they are available.

When drafting your motion to modify you must demonstrate changed circumstances that make a change warranted. For instance, loss of a job or a promotion can be grounds for modifying spousal or child support. Each state has its own rules about the modification process and the proof that is necessary for the modification to succeed.

Modifying child custody can be done, but it is difficult. Courts assume that the original custody arrangements were correct and they are reluctant to make custody changes. However, they will if it is in the best interest of the child and there are changed circumstance that make a change necessary.

Once the petition for modification has been completed, it will need to be filed with the court and served on your spouse. The court will schedule a hearing date and you will be able to present your argument. If you and your spouse agree that a modification is necessary, you should attach their agreement to your petition and the court may make the modification without a court appearance.

Need Help with an Appeal or Modification? Get Results with an Attorney

Appeals and modifications have specific requirements and filing deadlines. A skilled divorce attorney in your state will know how to handle these matters and also provide you with important advice on how to proceed with your divorce decree. Start the process now by getting in touch with an experienced divorce attorney in your area.


My original petition for divorce has been filed but the final divorce decree has not yet been signed.

I would like to adjust the amount of child support I asked for in the original petition. How do I do this?


If you would like to change the amount of child support you are asking for in your divorce case, you should file an amended Petition for Divorce. An amended Petition adds or withdrawals matters from previous pleadings to correct or change it. The amended Petition will supersede, or rather take the place of, the prior Petition.

Under Texas Rule of Civil Procedure, Rule 63, an amended Petition can be filed without the court’s permission if it is done more than seven days prior to the Final Trial and does not cause surprise to the other side. If you plan to file the amended Petition for Divorce within seven days of trial or if the other side claims surprise, than you will need the permission of the court.

Once the amended Petition for Divorce is filed and it is unopposed than it will take the place of your original Petition for Divorce.

For more information please contact a Texas family law attorney. Please be advised that my answering of this question does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Cordell & Cordell has men’s divorce lawyers located in 18 states.

Jennifer Hankinson is a Staff Attorney in the Dallas, Texas office of Cordell & Cordell, where she practices domestic relations exclusively. Ms. Hankinson is licensed in the state of Texas. Ms. Hankinson received her bachelors’ degrees in both Finance and Political Science from Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, California. She later received her Juris Doctor from Gonzaga University School of Law in Spokane, Washington, where she graduated Cum Laude.

When we are talking about the matters of divorce, legal separation, or paternity under the laws of San Diego County, California, one thing that may arise is having to change the petition. It is very important to review the petition [and all legal pleadings you will sign as well as those you are submitting to the Court and/or Opposing Party] very carefully. Once a pleading is filed, then it is part of your family law file. There are some issues in the matters of dissolution and legal separation in San Diego, where the San Diego Superior Court is asked for relief for filing a petition in which there is a request to change. This procedure is called “amending the petition. In order to file a petition in San Diego, one or both of the parties must meet the jurisdictional requirements. For a divorce, the jurisdictional requirements are residency in the State of California for at least six months [180 days] and residency in San Diego County for at least three months [90 days]. For a married couple that has not lived together for six months in California and three months in San Diego County, either the husband and wife are eligible for filing a legal separation. The jurisdiction also can become complicated since some issues, such as the legal status of divorce, may be in one state while the custody and visitation is in another state. The Law Office of Doppelt and Forney, APLC can assist you with the legal analysis for both filing petitions and amending petitions if necessary. A free in-person or virtual consultation can be scheduled by calling 800-769-4748. Your consultation will be with a licensed California attorney.

The cases in which a husband or wife files an amended petition are possible mistakes in the petition or to make a change in the date of separation or marriage. Usually, these cases don’t happen, and such requirements are not needed; however, no one knows that when someone might need such formalities and legalities, so it is important to have these pleadings entirely correct. In San Diego, different law sections deal with family law matters. As a matter of right, the Code of Civil Procedure Section 472 grants permission and allows a one-time amendment to be made for a petition pertaining to a legal separation or a divorce case. It can be easily done without many requirements. In more detail, any pleading may be amended [once] by the party of course, and without costs, at any time before the answer or demurrer is filed. If after the answer is filed, then the procedure becomes more complicated.

As long as a response is not filed, there is no need for a leave of court, and the petition for legal separation or divorce can be amended by having the amended pleading filed and serving the opposing party with a copy of it. Leave of court to amend a petition after the response has been filed. There are different ways in which one can make a request to amend the petition. First, this can be by agreement. Second, this could be by noticed motion and then a court hearing. The Judge has the discretion to grant or deny the request to amend.

Doppelt and Forney San Diego Divorce Lawyers, along with their vast knowledge, experience and expertise in dealing with such cases, aim at providing proper consultation to their clients who approach them with such legal affairs. They have the proper knowledge about the procedure of making an amendment in a petition and what are the legal formalities that must be dealt with while making an amendment in a petition. Moreover, they can also take care of all the legalities and documentation for you, and you are offered a free in-person or virtual consultation with them. Rest assured, you can trust them with the procedure of amending a petition as well as all other aspects of family law.

Family law cases, in San Diego, can be very complex. Amending a petition is one issue which can become complex. Other issue may include business valuations of a company either started during [or before] marriage. Tracing of funds which were used for community purposes also can become complicated. For example, if a down payment on a residence purchased during marriage used separate property funds then the spouse who uses their separate property can ask for a reimbursement in the final division of that asset. This can get much more complicated if, for example, a house was purchased during marriage and then sold during marriage and another house purchased with funds from the sale of the first house purchased during marriage. There are many other complex issues which an attorney can assist with in the legal analyzation and obtaining of goals. Doppelt and Forney, APLC can assist you also with experts, such as Forensic CPA’s and others, as needed.

This article will provide you with clear examples of worded unreasonable behaviour allegations that you can use as inspiration to complete your own divorce papers.

The examples we provide in this article are real-life examples that you can use and tailor to your exact circumstances.

How to amend a divorce petition

What’s covered on this page

Under the previous divorce law, applicants were expected to provide the court with 4-5 detailed examples of unreasonable behaviour.

This caused both parties unnecessary stress and raised the tensions, which in many cases led to paying excessive legal fees over drawn-out court battles.

Under the new divorce law, it is not possible to put blame or fault on one party, you simply state that the marriage has irretrievably broken down.

How to amend a divorce petitionNo-Fault Divorce Is Now Divorce Law – The divorce law in England and Wales has changed to give way for a no-fault divorce. This means, from 6 April 2022, you can no longer use Unreasonable Behaviour for the breakdown of your marriage. It is not possible for the other party to contest the divorce, allowing the divorce to proceed without friction or additional costs.

Speak to our friendly team on Live Chat for quick and reliable answers to your questions or call us on 01793 384 029 for no obligation information and advice on how no-fault divorce works.

How to write your own unreasonable behaviour divorce petition

We’re going to show you how to word some of the most common examples of unreasonable behaviour on your divorce petition.

The below examples are exactly that, ‘examples’, if you are still unsure how to go about wording your allegations of unreasonable behaviour you should call us for free advice on 01793 384 029.

Here are some common examples of unreasonable behaviour as they should be on the divorce petition:

  1. The Respondent and the Petitioner stopped socialising together in March 2018, which led to the Petitioner feeling lonely and depressed.
  2. The Respondent has a bad temper that [he/she] has lost on numerous occasions causing the Petitioner to be scared and anxious.
  3. The Respondent does not want to engage in any sexual or physical relations with the Petitioner, which has made the Petitioner feel unwanted and self conscious.
  4. Since [insert date] the Respondent has refused to socialise with the Petitioner. They have begun to pursue an active social life with his/her friends, leaving the Petitioner to feel abandoned.
  5. The Petitioner and Respondent do not share any common interests and only spoke to each other in the latter part of the marriage regarding the children, making the Petitioner feel isolated and lonely.
  6. The Respondent has always disliked the Petitioner’s family, which has led to the Petitioner feeling isolated from them and thus causing [him/her) distress.

What is the structure for unreasonable behaviour allegations?

If you are handling your own divorce it can be confusing learning how to structure the behaviours of your spouse on the divorce petition.

Use the same structure as our example below and the Judge should have no issues granting you a divorce.

Since [Insert Date], the Respondent has [Unreasonable Behaviour Action], which has made the Petitioner fee [Insert how you felt].

  • A date when the action happened or started
  • The action your ex-partner has done (plenty of examples can be found here)
  • How the actions of your ex-partner made you feel

What does an unreasonable behaviour allegation actually look like?

Since March 2020, when Lockdown started, the Respondent started drinking excessively and on numerous occasions become verbally abusive towards the Petitioner, which has made the Petitioner feel upset and isolated.

How can Divorce-Online help you today?

Use our online divorce services to obtain a divorce without spending thousands.

There isn’t a simpler or more cost-effective way to end your marriage based on unreasonable behaviour than by using our online divorce services. Find out more about how we can help you:

    to find out which service you need.
  • View our Managed Divorce Service for £199 – Our quickest and most comprehensive service.
  • We can draft the divorce petition for you – including the example of unreasonable behaviour – Read More
  • Read our guide on how to start your divorce online.

How to amend a divorce petition

This post was written by Mark Keenan. Editor of the Divorce Online Blog and Managing Director of Online Legal Service Ltd. Mark has been writing about divorce and related subjects for over 20+ years and is an expert in legal marketing.

English divorce law currently forces one party to blame the other in order to convince the Court that their marriage is beyond repair and there are no prospects of a reconciliation.

As the law currently stands in England and Wales, a marriage is dissolved by a decree of divorce pronounced after one party has filed a divorce petition, which asserts the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage proved by one of five grounds. The Court cannot hold that a marriage has irretrievably broken down unless the petitioner satisfies the Court of one or more of the five facts which are:

a) That the respondent has committed adultery and the petitioner finds it intolerable to live with the respondent;

b) That the respondent has behaved in such a way that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the respondent;

c) That the respondent has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of at least two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition;

d) That the parties have lived apart for a continuous period of at least two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition and the respondent consents to a decree being granted (two years’ separation and consent);

e) That the parties have lived apart for a continuous period of at least five years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition (five years’ separation).

Unless you want to wait either two or five years after separating to petition for divorce, one party must be blamed for the irretrievable breakdown of a marriage either by way of their unreasonable behaviour, adultery or desertion.

A Defended Divorce

A divorce can be stopped if either one party in the marriage does not accept that the relationship has broken down or does not agree that the grounds stated in the divorce petition are correct. This is called a defended divorce and these cases are incredibly rare in the UK. Most of the time, defending a divorce will be a costly exercise with the Courts being reluctant to force couples to remain married.

In addition, a divorce can be contested on the basis that the party who served the petition has no jurisdiction to bring a petition for divorce in this country. This might start a jurisdictional fight as to whether or not the petition is valid in the first place.

When a couple divorce, one person will begin the divorce proceedings by submitting a divorce petition to the Family Court. Before the divorce petition is submitted, a draft will often be sent to the other spouse. This provides the responding spouse with an opportunity to read through the petition. If the responding spouse does not agree with the wording of the statement or disputes a request for costs that has been made, then they can state this in writing before the formal divorce process begins.

One party may choose to defend a divorce in order to (i) delay the divorce and try to save the marriage; (2) submit their own petition – this can occur if the responding spouse believes that the reasons for the failure of the marriage are different from those stated by the petitioning spouse in their divorce petition; or (3) dispute the reasons given for the divorce in the petition – the responding spouse may wish to defend the divorce if they simply disagree with the reasons given in the divorce petition. For example, it may have been claimed that they were unfaithful or were guilty of domestic abuse, which they may dispute.

In order to defend a divorce, the Acknowledgement of Service must be completed and returned to the court that issued the divorce petition within 7 days stating the intention to defend the divorce petition. You will then have 21 days in which to file your defence.

Once a divorce petition becomes defended, the court will fix a case management hearing for the purpose of deciding how to progress the case. At the case management hearing, the court sets a procedure and timetable. The Court might decide that further action should be taken or they may request further evidence to support the reasons for divorce that have been stated in the divorce petition. The Court may also request further information and evidence from you to support your objection and the claims that you have made.

Supreme Court ruling in Owens v Owens (2018)

In the well-publicised case of Owens v Owens, the parties had been married for 40 years. Mrs Owens petitioned for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour and alleged that the marriage had broken down irretrievably and that Mr Owens had behaved in such a way that Mrs Owens could not reasonably be expected to live with him. Mr Owens defended the petition on the basis that his behaviour had not been unreasonable in the context of their marriage.

The Judge at first instance said that Mrs Owens had exaggerated the context and seriousness of the allegations and that they were at of a kind to be expected in a marriage.

Mrs Owens appealed to the Court of Appeal which considered the question – has Mr Owens behaved in such a way that Mrs Owens cannot be expected to live with Mr Owens. The Court of Appeal was satisfied that the judge at first instance had correctly applied the law and Mrs Owens appeal was dismissed.

Mrs Owens appealed the decision again and in July 2018, the Supreme Court found in the husband’s favour and dismissed Mrs Owens appeal. Whilst the Supreme Court judges felt unneasy about the decision they recognised that their role was only to interpret and apply the law. As the law currently stands, the petitioner is required to find fault in the respondent and on this occasion, Mrs Owens had failed to persuade the Court that Mr Owens behaviour was unreasonable enough. The effect of the decision was that Mrs Owens had to wait until 2020 for a divorce when she will be able to petition on the basis of five years separation without Mr Owen’s consent.

The decision in Owens v Owens highlighted the need for Parliament to seriously reconsider the long-standing campaign for ‘no fault divorce’ and amend the statute accordingly. Until such time, the risk remains that one party is forced to use more extreme examples of unreasonable behaviour in order to cross the threshold, thereby unnecessarily increasing animosity between the parties or that a party remains trapped in a loveless marriage long after they believe it has broken down.

In summary, as the law currently stands it is possible for one party to stop a divorce in the UK. However, the Divorce, Dissolution and Separation Bill which entered Parliament on 7 January 2020 is currently being considered. The proposed new law removes the blame game by allowing one spouse or the couple jointly to make a statement of irretrievable breakdown. The bill removes the possibility to contest a divorce, but all divorce applications could still be challenged on the bases of jurisdiction, the legal validity of marriage, fraud or coercion and procedural compliance. We currently await the decision from Parliament on the outcome of this proposed new law.

Get help navigating a divorce from beginning to end with advice on how to file, a guide to the forms you might need, and more.

How to amend a divorce petition

Is an Uncontested Divorce Right for You?

If you're faced with a change in your marital status, you may want to consider this option. Here are five points to consider to help you determine if…

How to amend a divorce petition

How to Get an Uncontested Divorce

If you and your spouse agree on the terms of a divorce, then you may be able to get an uncontested divorce. In most states, these are faster and…

How to amend a divorce petition

How to Get Online Divorce Papers

Many divorces require a lot of paperwork, but you can get most of these documents online. Learn more about how to get started with a divorce and if…

How to amend a divorce petition

Men v. Women: Who Does Better in a Divorce?

While many divorce settlements are equitable on the surface, societal expectations and pressures can create situations which disadvantage women in…

How to amend a divorce petition

Revising Your Estate Plan After Divorce

After a divorce, your estate plan will undoubtedly change. It is important to consider changing your will, living trust, power of attorney documents…

How to amend a divorce petition

Divorce the Nice Way

There are countless reasons to play nice during a divorce, not the least of which is making things easier on the kids. But it goes well beyond…

How to amend a divorce petition

No-Fault and Fault-Based Divorce in New York: A Checklist

Getting divorced in New York used to require very expensive court proceedings. This changed in 2010 when New York became the last state to allow no-…

In Part One, our fictional case’s Husband, John Doe, responded aggressively when his wife, Jane Doe, filed for divorce. He hired a renowned divorce attorney who immediately attacked Jane’s parental fitness and credibility. This common strategy to escalate conflict is intended to make the other party uncomfortable by making litigation more personal and expensive. Some attorneys also hope similar tactics will negatively influence the family court’s impression of the other party or cause what we refer to as “issue confusion” where the court is tasked with sorting through so many allegations that it becomes fatigued and more susceptible to oversight.

While Jane originally was optimistic the parties could resolve their differences without nasty litigation, John’s response made it perfectly clear that she was wrong. Jane could not believe John was trying to take the children away from her. That was so petty, even for him, she thought.

Jane knew she would need help in this case, so she contacted a divorce attorney with whom she previously consulted. Unfortunately, that attorney required a $10,000 retainer, just to get started and Jane simply could not afford that. After several consultations with other law firms, she found an attorney with a reasonable retainer.

During their consultation, the attorney asked questions and raised issues Jane had not previously considered. Based on their conversation, Jane’s attorney wanted to amend Jane’s petition to (1) inform the court of the domestic violence that occurred between the parties; (2) contest the validity of the disclaimer deed; and (3) add a claim for community funds John used to further extramarital affairs.

The Amended Petition

Amendment may be necessary for a variety of reasons. Sometimes a party may discover additional claims or causes of action to be added to the complaint or petition. A party also may wish to name additional parties to the lawsuit, though this is far less common in family court cases.

Pursuant to Rule 28, a party may amend his or her petition once as a matter of right so long as the opposing party has not yet filed a response. Otherwise, the party needs to obtain the opposing party’s consent or permission from the court to amend.

In our case, John’s attorney predictably opposed amendment so Jane had to file her motion for leave to amend the petition. Jane’s Motion properly attached a redlined copy and a clean copy of the amended petition to illustrate the changes made. When a party files a motion, the opposing party typically has ten court days (excluding weekends and holidays) to file a response. John’s attorney timely filed a detailed response to motion for leave to amend (intentionally condensed for brevity) and asked the family court to deny Jane’s Motion.

Unless otherwise specified, the party who filed the motion typically has five court days to reply to a response. It is important to terminologically differentiate between a response to a motion and a response to a petition. Ordinarily there is no right to reply to a response to a petition.

Jane’s attorney filed a brief reply (also condensed for illustrative purposes) and the court promptly granted the motion by minute entry.

This is a great example of how attorney “aggressiveness” can adversely affect the client. Procedural motions like this are routinely granted. There is a strong preference among Arizona courts, particularly family courts, to resolve cases on their merits rather than technicalities. Opposition then becomes a needless expense.

Although every case is unique and there is no universal guide for when to contest a motion, most experienced family law attorneys would agree that John should not have opposed the amendment. But for John, whose goal was to punish Jane, it was worth it to incur a few hours of unnecessary attorney’s fees to oppose to the motion because it directly increased Jane’s attorney’s fees, too, fees John knew Jane already struggled to afford. John believed the easiest way to “win” in this litigation was to force Jane to deplete her limited funds.

Jane’s Motion for Temporary Orders

John’s strategy to make litigation too expensive for Jane was obvious. Jane, a housewife during the marriage, had no income or other source of funds. So her attorney filed a motion for temporary orders to request interim spousal maintenance, child support, and attorney’s fees. The court set a return hearing and issued an order to appear.

A motion for temporary orders asks the family court to order certain relief while litigation is pending. Because family court cases can take several months or even years sometimes, temporary orders may be necessary to establish an interim parenting plan or financial support.

Jane requested temporary spousal maintenance in the amount of $3,500 per month and calculated child support up to $1,800 per month, depending on parenting time awarded to John. Jane also asked for $10,000 in interim attorney’s fees.

Most requests for attorney’s fees in family court are made under A.R.S. § 25-324, but when the case involves child custody, A.R.S. § 25-403.08 offers another way to request interim attorney’s fees and costs.

John’s Response and Counter-Motion for Temporary Orders

Pursuant to Rule 47, a party is not required to file a response to a Motion for Temporary Orders. However, John wanted to request temporary orders outside of the Jane’s requests, so he filed a response to motion for temporary orders and counter-motion for temporary orders to ask the court to establish a temporary parenting schedule, to impose conditions on Jane’s parenting time, and to grant John exclusive use of the marital residence.

The court received both motions for temporary orders and set the matter for a return hearing. It issued orders to appear for which both attorneys accepted service on their respective client’s behalf.

The terms “divorce” and “legal separation” are distinctly different. Legal separation does not mean the dissolution of marriage while divorce means the end of a marriage. After a divorce, couples can go back to their single status. Legal separation means the couples are still married but do not stay together.

There are many reasons why legal separation takes place before a marriage. Some couples feel that opting for a divorce is a serious matter and should be taken slowly. Being legally separated allows couples to reflect on the issue they have with their marriage.

In certain cases, couples change from legal separation to divorce. In California, it is easy to convert a legal separation to a divorce and all that is required is a simple conversion. It can be done anytime during the legal process and it takes only one spouse to make the request. It also involves filing a petition which the other spouse must comply to.

Amended petitions

In California, judicial counsel form, FL100, is used for making petitions in legal separation and divorce. Couples who want to change the petition simply need to file a second petition known as the Amended petition. In cases where one of the spouses hasn’t responded to the first petition, the other spouse simply needs to file the petition and send a serving notice. There are no charges for filing the amended petition. If a legal separation is still in process and one of the spouses has still not responded to the petition, then the other spouse can file the amended petition.

It is important for both spouses to meet the residency requirements of the state because the law for legal separation is different in each state. In certain cases where the legal separation has not been obtained but the petition has been filed, the spouse would require an approval request from the court. After a legal separation gets finalized, spouses who want a divorce have to file a new case and start over again. Sometimes, couples prefer to stay as legally separated for an extended period of time when such cases arise.

The State of California believes that every individual has the right to decide the fate of their marriage. In California, it’s an easy process to change from a legal separation to a divorce and only takes a simple petition to change the status. Getting divorced in California can be complicated. Download our free eBook, 18 Important Things to Know About California Divorce to educate yourself on the process.

In San Diego Superior Court, some spouses file a legal separation petition as opposed to a divorce petition. The reason for this may be religious or not wanting to ever remarry or for health coverage or that the residency requirement has not been met to file a divorce. In a legal separation, as opposed to a divorce, you cannot remarry unless you obtain a judgment of divorce. A legal separation judgment has all of the same issues resolved as with a divorce: custody; visitation; child support; spousal support and division of assets and debts. Some spouses, when they first legally separate, are very emotional and do not want to file a divorce. After time, some spouses decide they want to separate. Below is the procedure for amending the legal separation petition to a divorce petition.

In San Diego Superior Court, in order to file for a divorce, one party has to have been a resident of San Diego County for at least three months prior to filing a petition for dissolution and a resident of the State of California for at least six months prior to filing the petition. If this residency requirement has not been met, either party who is living in San Diego County can file for a legal separation. As such, some spouses file for legal separation and then wait the mandatory period for the residency requirement and then amend to a divorce.

An amended petition can be filed and there is no additional charge to the Court for this amended petition as long as a judgment of legal separation has not been entered. If no response has been filed, then the amended petition is filed and served. If a response is filed, than an ex parte hearing for leave to amend or a noticed motion is required under Code of Civil Procedure Section 472. If the judgment for legal separation has been entered, then another petition for divorce needs to be filed. Most Judges accept one amended petition “as a matter of right” and this is whether a response was filed. In some cases, a petition for legal separation is filed and a response to the legal separation is filed also requesting a legal separation. As with the petitioner, the respondent can also amend the response to ask for a divorce once the residency requirements have been met. In addition, a response to a legal separation can be for a divorce and, under California law, this is proper and the case will then proceed as a divorce and not a legal separation.

Why would a spouse want a legal separation instead of a divorce? Of course, there are many reasons but some of the most common are as follows. First, there are spouses whose religions do not sanction divorce and they will not divorce even though they could under California law. Second, some spouses never want to remarry and want to remain married to their current spouse but cannot continue in the day to day marital relationship and want to separate their assets and debts as well as have orders for their parenting plan as well as child support and spousal support. Third, and perhaps most common, is the continuation of health care coverage. Most employers will not provide health insurance coverage to a non married spouse. The cost of COBRA and individual plans, once the COBRA benefit is exhausted, can be unaffordable especially if the non member spouse [non employee who obtains their medical benefits from their employee spouse] is 50, 60, 70 or 80 years of age. As such, if remarriage will never be an issue, a legal separation can allow for the health insurance benefits for the non member [non employee] spouse to continue to obtain health insurance through the legally separated employee spouse’s medical coverage.

This can be complicated and, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us for a complimentary virtual consultation.

Withdraw the same with the liberty to file a fresh petition.

Also, there is no time limit for declaring the marriage as void. However, after two years of separation divorce can be filed on the ground of dissertion.

Yes you can withdraw divorce petition now and you can also filed another petition in future if required. Marriage cannot be said void on the basis of separation, it can only be nullified by the court of law, if another spouse is not known to anyone after all efforts not less than 7 years. On the other hand, if spouse is residing separately for more than 2 years without any sufficient cause then also it is one of the strong ground for divorce.

Withdrawal with the liberty of court to file fresh petition , can be filed any time. Otherwise, new divorce petition on fresh grounds.

Without court order, marriage do not assume void except conditions given in sec 5 (i),(iv),(v) Of Hindu Marriage Act.

2 years of continuous separation valid ground for divorce.

1) you can file for divorce in Mumbai if you are resident of Mumbai

2) husband can seek custody of daughter but generally courts award custody of child to mother only

3) you can seek maintenance from husband for your self and child

4) you can seek restraint order against husband from contacting you in any manner

U cant file petition acc,. to your choice of place, Jurisdiction issue.

Custody of child rest with mother only. don`t worry.

If he comes, file FIR. cal police.

1. Definitely yes you can withdraw with liberty to File again.

2. Yes You can file you wherever you reside but with address proof on record like aadhar card and ration card is must. . Or if you are working the employee letter head and I’d card as supporting document for add proof.

3. As case has to filed under the jurisdiction of your locality area where u reside , or place where you got married. Or at the place where you have your matrimonial house.

4. Two years separation under sec 13 and one year separation for mutual consent.

5.For the custody you can go head and file too

More girls custody goes to mother not a father. But in some circumstances if mother is proven in court not capable enough to take care or characterless then depends completely on the records and discretion of the court judge.

one can withdraw a petition of divorce and can reapply later if and when conditions so arise. there is no bar on again filing for divorce. marriage cannot be void it has to be declared by the court to be void. you can show desertion on the part of the spouse. yes, you can file for divorce in Mumbai. if you do not file for divorce, then legally you are married and your spouse has as much right as you as regards your child.

if you don’t want to live with him anymore then file for divorce and a separate application for the custody of your daughter.

for harassment, you should contact your local police and I’m sure they’ll help you in this matter.

You may file an injunction suit so that he does not come and harass you.

Divorce can be filed either at the place where you two last resided together or at the place where defendant is residing.

Ground as told by you in no ground to claim custody.

Yes you can withdraw the same with liberty to file at appropriate times

This is my response to you:

1. Do not withdraw the divorce petition;

2. He can file for custodial rights and/or visitation rights;

3. Therefore be sure with yourself and continue with the divorce case;

4. If you withdraw this and file another, the judge might ask you the reason for withdrawing the earlier one;

5. It is better you continue with the case and ask for interim maintenance etc.

Yes you can withdraw the divorce petition with a liberty to file a fresh petition.

See marriage is not void after separation, separation can be a ground of divorce only,

Separation period can be shown using circumstantial evidences that day spouse left the house , or both parties can agree to this or living in different places and no conjugal relation.

Mam you can file in Bombay if he resides in Bombay or marriage took place or you both last together resided in Bombay further the custody of the child below five years is with mother only also the custody is decided based on the welfare of child in case child is with from long time the court wont withdraw from habitual environment.

Further in case he harasses you can file a criminal complaint of domestic violence and can seek protection order residence and maintenance.

Please be clear of your query.

Yes. You can withdraw the petition by taking the permission of the court that you can file fresh petition in future, then you can file it again in future if need arises.

Staying separately does not make the marriage void but it is a ground for divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act under section 13 and statutory period of two years must have run out before a petition for contested divorce on Grounds of desertion is presented.

You can file a petition for grant of a decree of divorce in Mumbai, as you’re residing there on Grounds of desertion as the statutory period of 2 years has already elapsed.

According to section 6 of Hindu minority and guardianship act, mother is the natural guardian of child up to the age of 5 years thereafter father will be the natural guardian. Generally, court gives order of custody of child below the age of 5 years to mother.

– Yes you can withdraw the case filed by you after seeking liberty to file again from Court and file it again.

– Separation does not make the marriage void .

– There is no concrete proof as such per se for separation until and unless you took a place on PG/ leave and licence. Then you can produce the Agreements as documentary evidence. If not and you stay with your parents, they can appear as your witness and corroborate your story. Generally, it is not the period of separation which is contested but the factum of separation.

– Yes you can withdraw from Hyderabad and file in Mumbai.

– Desertion is not only about living separately but about wilful and intentional desertion. You can also file on the ground of cruelty.

– Yes, he can put a case for custody at any point of time, even when your case for Divorce is pending.

– Since your reasons for withdrawing the case are not clear, no concrete solution can be provided. Generally speaking, you can file NCs, a Petition for Injunction etc.

You will be asked for your husband or wife’s current address. This is so the court can send them a copy of the divorce application. Find out what to do if you do not know your husband or wife’s address.

If you give your husband or wife’s email address, the court will send the divorce papers to them online. If you do not give an email address the papers will be sent by post.

There’s a £593 fee to apply for a divorce. The way you pay depends on how you apply. Your fee will not be refunded after you are sent the notice that your divorce application has been issued.

If you need help paying the fee

You may be able to get help with fees if you get benefits or are on a low income. You can apply for this help online or with a paper form.

If you apply for the help online, you’ll get a reference number. Use that reference number when you apply for a divorce so you do not have to pay the fee upfront.

If you apply for the help with a paper form, you will not get a reference number. If you do not want to pay the fee upfront, apply for divorce by post and include your paper form with your divorce application.

A decision will then be made about your application for help with fees. Depending on what’s decided, you may be asked to pay some or all of the fee.

If you are making a joint divorce application and want help with paying the fee, you must both apply for help. If your husband or wife is not eligible or does not apply, you’ll have to pay the full fee.

Apply online

You’ll need a debit or credit card to apply online.

Help applying online

Courts and Tribunals Service Centre
Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8am to 6pm
Tuesday and Thursday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Closed on bank holidays

Telephone: 0300 303 0642
Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8am to 6pm
Tuesday and Thursday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Closed on bank holidays
Find out about call charges

Apply by post

Fill in a divorce application form D8 to start a divorce.

You can get help filling in the form at a Citizens Advice office.

Send a copy of the form to:

HMCTS Divorce and Dissolution service
PO Box 13226
CM20 9UG